UK rock radio station Kerrang! recently held a competition to find the 50 most iconic rock logos and the results were posted a couple of days ago (May 6th, 2011). The Red Hot Chili Peppers’ asterisk (with ‘Red Hot Chili Peppers’ written in a circular legend around it) came in at number 6!
6. Red Hot Chili Peppers- In his autobiography Scar Tissue, Anthony Kiedis admits there’s no concept behind the RHCP logo- he just drew it on a piece of paper when the label asked him for one. Fans have speculated that it resembles a certain orifice after one too many chillie [sic]
The Top 10 Greatest Rock Logos:
1. Rolling Stones (tongue)
2. Nirvana (smiley face)
3. Metallica (name logo)
4. The Who (target/air force emblem)
5. Guns N’ Roses (Circular GNR bullet logo with guns and roses forming a skull shape)
6. Red Hot Chili Peppers (asterisk)
7. The Ramones (eagle seal logo)
8. Queen (zodiac creatures crest)
9. Led Zeppelin (Icarus)
10. AC/DC (name logo)
Thanks to Alex Gibbons for the heads up on this.